In the early 1800s, travelers frequented the area now known as Milton ferry. A covered bridge became more convenient when it was built in 1834. This original bridge was demolished in 1955 and replaced by a more modern structure. A stage coach stop was established and as time progressed to 1870, a post office opened as Mud Bridge, Virginia with John Milton Rece as the first postmaster.
The area now known as Rock Camp Ridge was the site of Union Baptist Church, where a log building was constructed, thought to be built around 1788, and used until 1810 when Union Missionary Baptist Church was organized. The bricks for the well known Union Baptist Church, constructed in it’s present locations in 1849, were made in the orchard of the old John Everett farm. Also, in the Rock Camp Road area is the site of Union Cemetery, the oldest cemetery around Milton.
From 1861 to 1865, the Civil War brought trying times to the area where families were divided in the support of the North and the South. In1871 ,C&O Railway opened to provide a new means of transportation and in 1873, service was officially opened for the railroad from Huntington, WV to Richmond, Va. The Railroad service allowed Milton to become a convenient location for shipping lumber, ties, tobacco, etc… as well as receiving goods and materials needed by the community as far away as Mason County.
Lots were surveyed and sold along railroad in 1873 and 1874 when the post office at Mud Bridge was closed and the postmaster, known to most as Milton Rece opened the new “Milton” post office. Families came from miles around to have their grain ground at the 2 grist mills and to have their wool carded. The area prospered and brought merchants, sawmills, planning mills, hotels as well as the controversial saloon.
The lover covered bridge was built in 1875 and was a long needed, welcome site. In 1876, with a ‘staggering’ population of 86, the village applied to Cabell County Court for a certificate of incorporation and the town of Milton was born on September 16, 1876.